Re: Decrease in gas mileage

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 11:00:36 EST

If your area has the mandated change in gas blending for the winter months
then it's a strong possibility that's the reason for you loss of economy.
Always trying to be ahead of the other 49 states on matters of the environment,
here in California, that winter mix gas became legally mandated a number of years
ago but I believe not all the other 49 states have followed suit. So, where
ever you are, may or may not be included. If you live in hilly country and
have this winter gas mix you probably will also notice a trace of "ping" when
the motor is pushed and pulling hard, just another evidence of the change in
smooth burning properties in the fuel. I've been seeing a loss of about 1mpg in
economy and the return of winter ping (on major brand 87 regular) since the
onset of October. It continues here until mid March. You might try using 89 or
92 grade gas to see if you can recover your previous performance. The Jiffy
oil change is not likely to be the reason.