Re: Decrease in gas mileage

From: Rob S (robert_schultz@yahoo.com.remove.this)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 18:32:38 EST

Bill Nissley wrote:
> I had a sudden decrease in my gas mileage recently. I had been
> consistently getting 14-14.7 mpg, now I am getting 13-13.5 mpg. A tank
> was lasting me about 10 days, and now that is down to 8. The truck still
> seems to perform the same, but I don't push it very hard so I don't know
> if I'd notice a slight difference in performance.
>
> The only 2 things that I can relate it to was an oil change a Jiffy Lube
> that I had done because I was going on a trip to Arizona (750 miles
> round trip) and I didn't have time to take care of it. The second thing
> was the trip itself. I left the day after the service. That is where I
> first noticed the low MPG. It was lower on the trip than what I had been
> getting around town. The outside temperature was in the low 100s, but no
> overheating at all even with the air conditioner on the whole way. The
> Viper fan seemed to work really well.
>
> Those 2 things may be coincidental, but since then I have had the
> problem. Anyone have any thoughts?
>
> Bill
> http://www.dakota-truck.net/profiles/dakota/Ah0EiM5qG@xcE/profile.htm

I do believe that MTBE is banned in canada for the very reasons that
were posted.

It is typical to experience lower mileage when the weather gets colder -
I think mileage and power are supposed to be best around 50F?

All that said, whenever my mileage drops the first things that gets done
are the plugs get switched. However, last time the dealer had it, they
said that the throttle body had a lot of carbon. This was at 60K (100k
km). They cleaned that up and I immediatley started getting another 60
miles per tank (average a bit over 300 miles or 550km/tank in a QC with
the 4.7).

Rob S.
Milton ON
'00 QC 4.7 5 spd