Re: Decrease in gas mileage

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 21:15:32 EST

Rob S wrote:

> Bill Nissley wrote:
>
>> I had a sudden decrease in my gas mileage recently. I had been
>> consistently getting 14-14.7 mpg, now I am getting 13-13.5 mpg. A tank
>> was lasting me about 10 days, and now that is down to 8. The truck still
>> seems to perform the same, but I don't push it very hard so I don't know
>> if I'd notice a slight difference in performance.
>>
>> The only 2 things that I can relate it to was an oil change a Jiffy Lube
>> that I had done because I was going on a trip to Arizona (750 miles
>> round trip) and I didn't have time to take care of it. The second thing
>> was the trip itself. I left the day after the service. That is where I
>> first noticed the low MPG. It was lower on the trip than what I had been
>> getting around town. The outside temperature was in the low 100s, but no
>> overheating at all even with the air conditioner on the whole way. The
>> Viper fan seemed to work really well.
>>
>> Those 2 things may be coincidental, but since then I have had the
>> problem. Anyone have any thoughts?
>>
>> Bill
>> http://www.dakota-truck.net/profiles/dakota/Ah0EiM5qG@xcE/profile.htm
>>

> I do believe that MTBE is banned in canada for the very reasons that
> were posted.
>
> It is typical to experience lower mileage when the weather gets colder -
> I think mileage and power are supposed to be best around 50F?

One often-overlooked factor is tire pressure. Tire pressure drops
roughly 1 PSI per 10 degrees of air temp. So if you last checked your
tires in August when it was 80 and it's now in the 40s, you're running
about 4 pounds low. Bring your pressure back up to spec and you'll
reclaim some (*not* all) of your lost mileage.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/dakota - andy-dml@levyclan.us -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------