keyless / remote start

From: ethan@ethanschwartz.com
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 15:35:05 EST

Has anyone had luck installing an alarm / remote start in their Dakota
themselves?

I know there were some places that used to sell vehicle specific T harnesses, I
thought Crutchfield had them, but don't see them listed anymore...

I've had alarms and remote start in my 2 previous vehicles, both professionally
installed, and I'm finding it hard to live without in the Dak (keyless entry
alone doesn't cut it)... but I don't feel like dropping the $500-600 it costs
to have it done... Especially when the units themselves seem to sell for
sub-$150 for the decent stuff.

I'm also trying to steer away from the chain store installation deals, like
Best Buy or Tweeter, because a friend of mine went through hell and back to get
a remote starter installed in his GMC Blazer correctly, took weeks to get it
right, and in the meantime the truck was laid up and non-functional in their
installation bay.