Re: Oil filters; $2 Generic vs $10 Premium

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 14:07:52 EST

BARRY OLIVER wrote:
> I just cut open a WallyWorld "supertech" brand oil filter last night. I
> f'd up and bought 2 different filters for the X-g-f's car, and rather
> than drive all the way back out there for a $2 refund, I decded to open
> it up and look at it... and it's JUST like the mobil 1 I cut open a few
> months ago. Same contents, same base, same guts, even the same marks.
> I'll post pictures when I get a chance...
> Oh, and just to be clear, I believe the Mobil1 oil filter to be the
> highest quality filter that is widely available today. I am not saying
> the M1 filter has generic guts, I am saying the WallyWorld filter is a
> Mobil1 with different paint... Anybody wanna donate a K&N for
> comparison? (they just shut down the only place I could get them
> locally, so now if I want a K&N I have to mail order it.....

I have always used Napa Gold (Wix) filters... they are on par with Bosch
price wise. I suppose the only real way to know which is better is to
have the oil analyzed... I just recently bought 4 Bosch filters for the
Ram (have the Napa Gold on there now) because I got a good deal on them
vs regular retail price. Guy I work with seems to think Bosch filters
are better than Wix. (shrug)

I hate Fram... don't even get me started.

"Take me to the river, drop me in the water..." - Talking Heads

'89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x2 -- '89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x4 '01 Graphite Ram Offroad Sport, RC, 360 V8, Auto, Short Box! 4x4

http://home.earthlink.net/~silvereightynine/ http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/