sat. radio question (sorta OT)

From: Ethan Schwartz (ethan@ethanschwartz.com)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 01:26:18 EST

Does anyone have any exp. with sattelight radio?

I've looked into it, and it seems to me that Sirius is technically
superior to XM (XM uses a geo. sync. bird which means you need a view of
the low southern horizon for signal, Sirius uses multiple (3 presently)
LEO birds that means you can have a much narrower view and still have
signal).

But maybe in actual use XM is better, was hoping someone has used
one/both and could give me an honest opinion...

Crutchfield has a decent deal now, you buy any Kenwood (Sirius) receiver
and antenna, and you get the actual sat. receiver free... total is about
$220, not bad for a new stereo (that plays MP3/WMA CDs as well).

I think the sound quality is like 32kHz, which is not quite CD quality,
but better then FM...

I'm no good at being my own DJ (hate changing CDs) and the radio
stations around here seem to have about 2 minutes of music for every 58
minutes of useless chatter and commericals. I have a 60 min commute
most days, and have friends in NY, ME, NH and VT... I put about 30k on a
vehicle so I spend plenty of time out there so the $10-12/mo is
justified IMHO (which is all that counts :)).

-Ethan