Re: Re: 4 banger gas milage?

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 12:44:24 EST

I drove and considered a 2k 4cyl 5sp RC (used) then decided to buy a new CC
V6 auto from the same dealer. It was my impression in driving the 4cyl that
the engine was working pretty hard most of the time. The transmission/axle
ratios seemed well matched to the engine but it simply could not move the truck
when called for quickly. I concluded the gas mileage therefore would hardly be
impressive particularly after added the weight of some cargo.

You're considering a Gen II 4cyl and maybe the somewhat smaller and lighter
vehicle compared to Gen III is enough to allow the 4 to function with less
labor??

My CC v6 has consistently done (in 48k mi now) 19mpg (on this crappy 87
regular in Calif we must also pay the highest prices in the USA for) in my mix of
traffic and open road driving. On a full tank of open road it does 22 unless I
exceed 65mph and/or the terrain is mountainous. When I went to Mobil One
10-30 and replaced my original tires with 31" I picked up a consistent 2mpg in
all open road driving. The tires also reduced the RPM's to 1800 @ 65mph in 4th
OD (3.55 axle) which obviously will contribute to greater overall engine life.

Paul Sahlin