RE: Torque management-4.7l auto

From: Bob Mankin (bob@coralfarms.com)
Date: Sat Nov 22 2003 - 01:15:04 EST

How does one "find" that they have TQ management?

> Therefore, if you have Tq Management, you WILL bog off the line if you
> launch hard with the experiences I've had, seen, and heard of on the
> 318/360 trucks. What I've found it to do is take the timing advance to
> 0 degrees at the "bogging" point. Once the transmission is up and
> moving it will put the timing back into it.

Timing to zero???? The only person I've seen attempt to document this
converter phenom with a DRBIII was Travis Mock and he was talking something
on the order of 4 degrees retard. What you are suggesting is along the lines
of 30+ degrees. BTW, Travis ran some 12.3ish ETs in the heat of Phoenix with
a '99 controller that supposedly had this "TQ management problem" and he had
respectable 60's too. Again, I think the issue is overblown.

The idea that some trucks have it and some don't just feeds the rumor mill.
It is HIGHLY unlikely that you would see such a major PCM subroutine flashed
into some 360 trucks, but not others, especially if you're talking about a
given model year. Less timing or the "death flash" everyone points to, OK.
But major program mods like that are not likely.

If you've got a FSM for your truck, look up the connectors on the PCM and
see if there is a torque management wire in the harness. Then verify if that
wire is physically there on your truck. That would be a start. My '01 does
have the signal wire, but I don't know that all Gen IIIs did. But even with
the wire, that's no assurance that the feature is programmed or enabled in a
given controller.

Bob