RE: Torque management-4.7l auto

From: Tim Berry (coolva1@cox.net)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 20:39:33 EST

TQ management isn't in all the PCM's from what I've seen in the past, it
is only in some... for some reason, all 3 PCM's I've had in my truck,
has had it. A local guy who has a 408 has not had it and it's a 99 r/t.
Then there is the guy in Tenn. who found he had Tq Management at the
same time I did when there was no knowledge of it, and Marty @ KRC got
us in contact with one another. We both had the same problem, and we
had a converter and shift kit in common.

Therefore, if you have Tq Management, you WILL bog off the line if you
launch hard with the experiences I've had, seen, and heard of on the
318/360 trucks. What I've found it to do is take the timing advance to
0 degrees at the "bogging" point. Once the transmission is up and
moving it will put the timing back into it.

For example, I would launch from idle, 1000, 2000, etc RPM's, at approx
2200-2400 RPMs of stalling, until I reached ~15MPH (3.55 gears) it would
give me 0 degrees of timing. Therefore giving me crappy 60' times
(2.2-2.4's) but would still run 13's.

If I still had the 318/360 in it I would take a video of the truck and
scanner to show you what I am talking about.

I hope this helps in some way.

Tim Berry - 97 Dakota SLT - far from stock ;)
KRC 408, 46RE conversion, Vortech T-Trim

I think the TQ management thing with respect to 60 ft time is highly
exaggerated. I know of a few people right off the top of my head who are
laying down 1.6 and 1.7 60 ft. times with PCMs that have never been
altered
for TQ management. Scott Q, Dan Bennett, Mark Bellisimo come to mind
immediately. Scott and Dan definitely run high stall converters. Not
sure
with Mark.

Could probably come up with quite a few more by asking around. The TQ
management thing started out as a question/concern and has taken on a
life
of it's own since. I don't think all the facts about it are on the table
just yet.

Bob