Re: Dakota Mods

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 12:41:35 EST

Peter Grace wrote:

> About the plugs -- is using teflon tape a viable alternative to
> antiseize compound? Just asking because I know I have teflon tape
> around...

Definitely not teflon tape. It will melt. Make sure you have the
proper spark plug socket as well. Otherwise you can chip the insulator
putting them in - not to mention I don't think a normal socket fits over
the plug. It should be difficult to get the distributor cap mounted
improperly. The cap should have two different-shaped mounting tabs, and
the tabs should be off center. The only two tools you should really
NEED are the spark plug socket and ideally an extention for your
ratchet, and a phillips screwdriver for the distributor cap.

Again, as Tom said, do things one at a time. Since it sounds like you
are changing the cap/rotor, this gets a little more complicated. My
personal recommendation would be to do the plugs/wires (change the plugs
one at a time, only taking off one wire at a time, finding an equivalent
length new wire, and replacing, repeat as necessary) and leave the old
cap on there. Make sure that you have crossed anything up (ie. fire the
engine up,) THEN change the cap/rotor. Similar idea for that, just go
one wire @ a time, changing from old cap to new. Remove old cap,
replace rotor, screw on the cap (make sure it's on evenly and fully,)
and you're done.