Gear whine?

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 07:44:15 EST

We've been noticing a sound in the 2001 that I would describe as whining or
droning. Is there some way to determine if it's coming from the axle gears?

I've noticed that it only starts above about 50 mph, but it's pretty quiet
until about 55. The pitch seems to go up a bit at higher speeds. It isn't
terribly loud, but it is loud enough to hear it with the radio on. It also
stops immediately if I take my foot off the gas and coast. I can't find
any correlation to engine speed, so it definitely seems to be driveline
related.

We had the gears swapped out from 3.55 to 3.92 earlier this year. I'm
hoping that we're not going to have to take it in for more adjustments, but
I'd rather do that than have any problems arise. The noise wasn't there at
first with the new gears, it only started around the same time the weather
got colder.

The fluid was also changed to 75w140 synthetic. Could that be causing more
noise than we had before in the cold weather?

I'm hoping to take it over to the shop that replaced the gears, but it's
over an hour drive from here, so it isn't really convenient.

Thanks for any suggestions.