Re: Home of the 5-Hour Oil Change

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sun Dec 21 2003 - 01:10:36 EST

On Dec 20, 2003, at 10:41 PM, Jason Bleazard wrote:

> andy levy said:
>>
>> Axle disconnect hose? Daks don't have axle disconnects.
>
> I'm pretty sure they used to, although I'm not sure exactly what model
> years (IIRC, Travis has a '92). They discontinued the system when they
> figured out that even though it avoids extra wear by disconnecting the
> axle, it was pretty unreliable. Stuff like the vacuum lines melting
> :-).

yeah, CAD (central axle disconnect) axles are a pain when they aren't
working right. depending on vacuum getting to something hanging under
the truck is not a wonderful idea - either do hubs or nothing, IMO.

I also don't know when dodge ditched the CAD design, but I think there
are eliminator kits available.....

here's one that replaces the air actuated lockup with a manual cable
for positive engagment without really changing the axle's guts around -
but not for our trucks. =(
<http://www.drivetrain.com/4x4PosiLock.html>

that was all I found in a quick search - looking closely at
ramchargercentral might net you something since there are always CAD
questions coming up over there.

good luck,

--
Michael Maskalans                '98 Dakota SLT CC 4x4 318
details here:             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak/>