Beat by Ford Power Stroke BAD

From: John Bell (dak@mama.indstate.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 22 2003 - 17:45:27 EST

Hey all,

Just finished getting my truck taken care of... oil change, tune up, tire
balance/rotate, etc. and the beast is running really well.

Was driving home today and a fella in a new Ford F250 Crew Cab w/ a Power
Stroke goes flying by me spitting out smoke and sounding like a jet engine.
I was lucky enough to catch up to him two lights later and get in behind
him. I let him take off for a few lengths, noting that his truck can really
get up and GO.

I had already figured that he was probably running a chipped up diesel at
the very least, and more than likely had a Banks kit or similar in it. I
had to know though, so I floor it and pass him at around 110 or so, then
slow up for the corner.

He comes flying around the corner on my outside, belching smoke and whining
like a 757 on take off, and passes me. Then he keeps on flying down the
road and pulls away as I come out of the corner on power (not as aggressive
as I usually do, but it still wouldn't have made any difference). By that
time we have traffic in front of us, so I keep it at 80 or so and let him
get way ahead as he cuts people off in traffic - no need to press the
issue, he had me beat fair and square, and I needed to get home to the wife
and kids anyway.

Wish I could have caught up. It would have been interesting to discuss his
setup with him.

My setup:

- Intense Performance Stage II intake w/ 7" cone filter
- 3923 plugs fed by 8mm JBAs and a brass cap/rotor
- 180 t-stat
- relocated IAT (tapped into intake)
- 3" single in/out cat back with Magnaflow Turbo XL, stock routing
- Hypertech Power Programmer III using 93 octane profile
- more info in signature

All that aside, the Dak is running very nicely, and I'm mighty happy. Gonna
have to upgrade to a Cummins one of these days, though ;-).

Have fun,

--
John Bell - '00 QC SLT+ 4x4 5.9 NV242 3.92LSD Patriot Blue over Driftwood