Re: RE: Jack Stands

From: andylevy@yahoo.com
Date: Wed Dec 31 2003 - 22:08:38 EST

In article <bsvm7q$a81$2@bent.twistedbits.net>, pgrace@fierymoon.com (Peter
Grace) writes:

> I've got a floor jack I've bought from walmart. It kicks ass....
> (Compared to a scissor lift). I may just jack stand from the frame
> rails but I'm wondering how secure it'll be on the framerail versus the
> control arm. Only attempting it will show what makes me feel most
> comfortable. I know for a fact I should not have changed my oil filter
> while just having the truck on the jack... Made me very, very nervous.

I've had both my trucks up on jackstands for quite a while (several hours) with
some "pounding" (breaking lower shock bolts loose) and had no reason to be
concerned. Just make sure the top of the jackstand cradles the framerail
decently.

You must have a 2WD? I had to go up to the Craftsman 3-ton "big" jack for my
4x4 - anything smaller reached its maximum lift just when it reached my
framerail.