Re: RE: Jack Stands

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Wed Dec 31 2003 - 22:27:00 EST

Hey, Andy,

<snip> I've had both my trucks up on jackstands for quite a while (several
hours) with
some "pounding" (breaking lower shock bolts loose) and had no reason to be
 concerned. Just make sure the top of the jackstand cradles the framerail
 decently<snip>

I do see a reason to be concerned....I had a jackstand casting fracture
right to one side of the "vee" -
WHILE I was under the DASKY. Fortunately, I make it a habit to keep my floor
jack under the truck at the same time that I've got her on the stands. I
release it to the point of just being low enough that the pressure is off
the jack & on the stands, but not too low to save me if a stand sh*ts the
bed. When mine let go, the DAKSY only dropped about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, but the
sound of the failure & the minor drop was enough to scare the crap outta me!

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
(Well...not "literally" outta me...LOL)
Averill Park, NY
2K DAK SY CC Sport + V6 4X4 5 Speed