Re: General Maintenance Was: Ignition coils

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 13:06:02 EST

Peter Grace wrote:

> It's about time for me to do some serious fluid changes too. I haven't
> changed the transmission fluid since I bought the truck at 115k, so I
> guess about 10k is a good time to check/replace it?
>
> Pete

I'd keep my eye on it if I were you. Changing the fluid of a trans with
that many miles can be an interesting experience to say the least. If
it's never been done before, odds are that the fluid has varnished up
inside there and changing it will clean that varnish away (since we all
know trans fluid is a detergent) and possibly cause you trans problems.
  Take a look at the fluid color and smell, if the color looks kinda
faded (brownish) and it smells a little bit, I'd say it's a safe bet
it's the original fluid. You can change it, but be careful and watch
the trans performance.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L