Re: Was: Slide in camper NOW: 5th wheel?

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 18:55:34 EST

On Jan 5, 2004, at 4:05 PM, Jason Bleazard wrote:

> Apparently, there's some kind of hitch setup that can be used to alter
> the geometry depending on whether you're on the freeway or trying to
> get
> parked in the campground. I've never looked in to it. I like my
> tonneau
> too much :-).

probably a sliding 5th wheel setup much like some big trucks will use
to better distribute weight between drives and steers. generally for
maneuverability in a big truck you slide the trailer's tandems forward,
which improves things dramatically.

I don't see moving the hitch as doing much aside from changing
sensitivity to steering input when backing, changing the overall length
of the rig and changing the weight distribution.

but as for your tonneau - if you'd rather tow a travel trailer than a
5th wheel just b/c of your bed cover, you've never towed a 5th wheel =)
  drastically more stable, no need for weight distributing setups, and
far easier to back up, too.

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'98 Dakota CC 0x4 318 (Borked)   '84 RamCharger 4x4 360 (DD)