Re: Re: this is how NOT to install a transfer case

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 14:24:30 EST

On Jan 8, 2004, at 07:38, Russell Yee wrote:

> Sucks that the t-case install went south.

agreed!

> can you describe the noise that the t-case is making (grinding,
> slapping, etc)?

I'd describe it as relatively generic gear noise, and I'm relatively
certain that it's coming from the planetary assembly.

> Did you happen to check all the bearings to make sure that they are
> good? (I know this t-case was rebuilt, but you never know).

it's not bearing noise that I'm hearing, FWIW. all of them felt smooth
in rotation and didn't seem to move around in any direction that they
shouldn't (as in they seemed to run true and didn't wiggle)

> Did you tension the chain enough (could be chain slap)?

as near as we could tell there was no mechanism to tension the chain,
which confused us a bit. There is no standalone tensioning mechanism
in the middle of the case, and both shafts are fixed, so.... ?

> I wouldn't drive too far with the case in this condition. You
> could end up with some smooth gear cogs and metal filings littering the
> inside of the case.

that was my thought as well. especially bad since I seem to have
dropped the magnet (again!) without noticing before final assy ;-)

I haven't made any phone calls yet (pretty stupid since I'm rapidly
running out of days) but I'm thinking that I may be able to get the
replacement case's input shaft machined down if it's center recess is
deep enough and then swap bearings and input shafts back. I really
don't know if it's a matter of unmatched wear, bad bits in the
planetary assembly itself or what.

on the bright side, once I get it removed again (PITA) I ought to be
able to have it apart and together again in about 30 minutes =)

and if all else fails, I think I can trust the RamCharger to make the
trip..... I think.

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'98 Dakota CC 0x4 318 (Borked)   '84 RamCharger 4x4 360 (DD)