Re: recommendation on cat back, or more

From: brett4hand@hotmail.com
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 00:19:59 EST

In article <BC2F5C15.143A%ghedlin@theramp.net>, ghedlin@theramp.net (Gary
Hedlin) writes:

> Word to the Wise,
>
> If you're happy with where the exhaust exits, you'll gain more by going with
> just a high flow cat and a high flow muffler. Unless you need a 3" system,
> why pay for pipes you already have??
>
> I don't think you can go wrong with a Magnaflow muffler, great sound and a
> good price.
>

> --
> Gary Hedlin
> 98 3.9 RC Sport
> http://garysdakota.1colony.com

Gary, you bring up a very good point. Roughly 80 bucks for the performance
muffler of his choice, another 55 bucks for a Catco cat (or roughly 125 for a
Carsound), add 100 bucks(or so) for welding it all up, and he's got a good
sounding/performing exhaust system.

I've got all the whoopty-doo stuff on my Dak (headers, 3" cat-back, hipo pcm,
FIPK, blah, blah blah), and was relaying my experience. For a stock 318 guy
just wanting to get better sound and a little hp/tq, your suggestion is more
cost effective, and should offer an equal (or better) performance gain than a
cat-back system.

Brett Forehand
'94 Dakota Sport CC 5.2 Auto