Front End Repairs - Questions/Comments

From: A. S. (adakota4x4@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 14:46:42 EST

  Had new tires/shocks put on at the local tire dealer over the weekend.
They told me that they were unable to align the truck because of the wear in
some of the parts in the front end. They told me that I needed to replace
the following:

Lower Ball Joints
Idler Arm
Pitman Arm
Inner Tie Rods

  The total for this plus an alignment would be $902.68 ($521.44 parts and
$349.95 labor plus tax). I think these guys are pretty honest, but I'm
going to get a second opinion anyway.
  They told me that the ball joints and tie rods would need to be replaced
to align the truck. The other parts could be replaced at another time. He
said that none of the parts were in urgent need of replacing.
  So, here's my question...are these parts difficult to replace? I have a
feeling that all of these are pretty much out of my league as far as repair
work goes. I've already looked up these parts and I can purchase them all
for around $235 or so online (moog parts).
  Any comments on these repairs? Is it common to replace the idler arm and
pitman arm?
Note: the truck is a 95 4x4 with about 137,000 miles.
Thanks.
--Aaron--
95 DSRC 4x4 V6

One-click access to Hotmail from any Web page – download MSN Toolbar now!