Re: noise makers

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 10:40:50 EST

"Michael Maskalans" <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote in message

> so Barry,
> I've got two munged speakers. ignoring the fact that if I'm smart I'll
> stop putting money into the Dakota, I wanna fix that, and maybe make my
> interior sound as good as yours. what exactly are you running, and
> what did it cost you from where?
>
> anyone else with one of those under-the-rear-seat sub setups who would
> like to chime in is welcome to, too - but I've seen and heard Barry's
> and know I like it =)
>
> I'm just tired of my crackling speakers! (left front and right rear are
> partially blown)
> --
> Mike Maskalans <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>

Now that I've read everyone else's posts about this, I feel the need to
chime in.

Having heard Barry's setup, I'd have to agree that it does sound very nice.
However, I think the only advantage to these under seat subwoofers is that
they're out of sight and don't take up any space in your back seat. I've
got a 10" Adire Brahma (http://www.omg-stfu.com/dakota/brahmafar-small.JPG
and http://www.omg-stfu.com/dakota/brahmanear-small.JPG), the longest throw
woofer on the market, it throws about 3.5" from x-min to x-max, and will
handle over 1500W RMS without breaking a sweat. www.adireaudio.com. I know
that this solution is not for everyone though, so to each their own.

When you pick what you want to install, you're going to have to find a good
source for the sound signal, as well as feeding that source into an
amplifier of some kind as well. I've got my amp mounted on a piece of
masonite that's under the carpet in my truck, the amp is screwed right
through the carpet and that seems to have worked well for me
(http://www.omg-stfu.com/dakota/amp1-small.JPG) this far. I've got plans to
rip out the rear seat and construct something more permanent, but that's
going to have to wait for now.

Since you've got to replace a rear speaker anyway, the best way for you to
get signal to the amp is going to be by either tapping into the LR and RR
speaker leads and feeding them to your amp's high input terminals, or by
feeding the spliced leads into an RCA converter(s) (they take high level
inputs and convert them to the kind you'd get from the RCA outputs on the
back of a good head unit) and then using an interconnect (RCA cable) to go
from the converter(s) to the amp. Let me be the first to tell you that your
sound quality will NOT be as good with the stock head unit as it will with
an aftermarket setup, but it will sound a lot better once you get something
in there to take some of the bass load off of your tiny little 6.75's.
Additionally, removing all that plastic cladding from the interior of the
truck is a MAJOR pain in the behind, it took me just about an entire day to
change out my rear speakers because of it. The second time I did it, it
wasn't as hard, but I still didn't like the fact that I had to do it.
You've got to disconnect the upper seatbelt mount, and take all the pieces
of the rear seat out, it's a long painful process.

I wish you'd have said something when we met up, I'd have been more than
willing to show off a little. ;-)

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L