Re: French Fry Diesel Power (was Today's gas prices)

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 13:04:13 EDT

I know :-). http://www.greasecar.com

> Guy that comes into the store at work drives a 1996 F-250 Powerchoak,
> he converted it to run on fast food waste cooking oil. He bought a
> couple heater cores, piped engine coolant into a tank he put in the
> bed of the truck, to warm the cooling oil for better combustion.

Looks like that's all part of the Greasecar kit. I wonder why they use
engine coolant, rather than use an electric heater. Using engine
coolant requires the engine to be started on diesel and run until it
warms up enough to heat up the grease.

> He gets the stuff FREE from local burger joints. He said its a good
> deal - they normally have to pay to have the used oil hauled away.
> Now they get rid of it for free and he gets free fuel.

Hope he enjoys that while it lasts. I have a feeling that if this ever
takes off, the restaurants will figure out that there's a demand for
their used oil and start charging for it. Not because it costs them
anything, but just because they can.