Re: Alarm suggestions

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 15:54:43 EDT

andy levy <andy-dml@levyclan.us> wrote:
: jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
:> DEI seems to make excellent products. I have installed their
:> Viper system w/remote start on 2 of my vehicles and they have been
:> excellent. In your case, I would probably be tempted to purchase the
:> best DEI system that I could afford.

: "What I can afford" has already gone out the window, I'm short on money
: with the wedding/honeymoon in 9 days. So I'm on a budget, but I want to
: feel safe.

 Yikes - I hadn't realised it was so close! Good luck with that! :-)

:> A system like LoJack where they can track the vehicle would
:> be very nice, but I'm not sure that is available in the alarms
:> in the price range you are shopping in.

: Overkill. I just need to make the other cars in the lot (except
: Marci's, of course) more attractive than mine to someone looking to
: break in.

   Ahhh, I see - reference the "mountain lion chasing two guys in
the woods" joke, eh? ;-)

:> In addition to the alarm system, you may want to think about
:> adding a few homebrewed roadblocks, like hidden switches which
:> interrupt power to the ignition system, fuel pump, or other
:> essential circuits. They won't keep your radio in the dash, but
:> might discourage joyriders.

: I'm more concerned with the stereo and items in the truck at this point.
: I've considered wiring a second microswitch inline w/ the one on the
: clutch, so that you have to hold a (hidden) button down along with the
: clutch to start the truck.

  That's not a bad idea, and pretty easy to implement too! (Why
didn't I think of that one? :-) What might be neat is to hook
up a 3 way switch such that you can have it in normal mode (like
the truck came stock), security mode (truck thinks the clutch
pedal isn't pressed in no matter the actual position of the
pedal), and dead battery mode (truck thinks the clutch is pressed
in no matter the actual position of the pedal - might be useful
for a push start) :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'