Re: MP3 player, new tires

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 17:28:23 EDT

"Larry L Athey" <larryathey.nospam@larryathey.com> wrote in message

> Pocket hard drive based MP3 players can be purchased for as little as
> $115 these days. I have an Alpine stereo in my Dakota with the line
> input cable and a power supply line that reaches down to the little
> pocket next to my gear shift, so the thing isn't just hanging around in
> the pickup. I even use Velcro to keep it in place. I would have bought
> an in-dash unit capable of playing MP3s if it wasn't for the fact that I
> would always have to burn a new CD whenever I wanted to add just one new
> song to take with me. Whereas with my little Archos MP3 jukebox, I just
> have to synchronize it with my computer and I've always got all of my
> music with me.

I guess I'm just picky, but I don't like the idea of having to hook anything
up ever. The cord for my radar detector bothers me with its location, but
I'm too lazy to pull the dash off and fabricate something up to correct my
issues with it. One day...

> Everybody has different preferences, I just prefer to eliminate the
> inconvenience of burning CDs. I can sync my whole music collection on my
> MP3 jukebox in less time than it takes to burn a CD and I've got a lot
> more flexibility.

I can see the advantages of not having to burn a new CD each time, but I buy
my CDs in 200 spindles for about $35 - $45 a spindle and have a 52x burner,
so it only takes me about 3 minutes to burn a CD once I've selected my
songs. Plus, with a whole new CD, it gives me the opportunity to put all
new music on the disc, and since I've got a rather large collection I
usually never run out of music to put on them. I guess it all boils down to
personal preference.

- Josh