Tach dropped to 0----kinda long but please read

From: spook (richardfiser@mchsi.com)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 18:00:34 EDT

>'98 Dakota, 3.9, auto transmission. A couple of days ago I noticed that
>it wasn't starting right up. Had to crank a few more times that normal.
>If I turn the key on and wait a few seconds it starts right up. Thought
>maybe the plugs and dist. cap were ready for a change, but today I was
>driving and it just stopped running. Tach dropped to 0. Tried to start
>it and just cranked. Turned the switch completely off then back on and
>it fired right up. Did it a couple of more times. I don't seem to be
>losing electrical, except I'm not sure about whether the shutdown is due
>to losing ignition or fuel. Any guesses before I get it worked on? Thanks.

I am reposting this from June 19. I changed the IAC and coil as
recommended. Still would shut down. So, yesterday I was driving it to
the Mopar shop, and it dies right in front of one of our local 2 stall
and a lift mechanics. He checked for spark - none. Checked for power to
the injectors - none. Said he knew exactly what was wrong. Says it
happens to these Dakotas all the time. So, he replaces the pickup sensor
in the distributer. $210.00 later, I'm on my way, confident the problem
was solved. Parked it in the garage for the night. This morning it
starts right up, but shakes like it's running on 5 cylinders for about 3
seconds then straightens right out. Figured since it was so humid that
maybe some water got in someplace. Drove about 15 minutes and...........
nothing. I'm coasting down a 4 lane highway at 50 mph.
Long story...not so long, I've got an appointment with Mopar on Tuesday.

Question #1 I searched the archives and came across a long thread from
last July about someone with similar problem as I have. Here's a link
that'll explain better.

http://faq.dakota-truck.net/Electronics/gen2_stalling.html

Is something possible on a '98?

Question #2 Do I try to get a refund from the mechanic? He simply
guessed at a cause without any testing. I could have done that. And a
whole lot cheaper too.

Thanks to those who've helped me so far. You all have good thoughts.