Re: Re: Re: Home from the BBQ at last

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 12:33:24 EDT

<Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com> wrote in message

> Well, After Mike and I eyeballed the toe; I loaded the Dak directly onto
the
> trailer with no test drive. We didn't even tighten the tie rod clamps.
> Yesterday, I strapped a couple of straight edges (8' of 1½" aluminum
square
> tube) to the front wheels and set a tape measure on them to see how far we
were
> off. The wheels are toed in very slightly, ¼" over 8'. So I tightened
down
> the clamps and took it for a test drive. Truck goes straighter now than
before
> I took it to the BBQ. :b A very slight drift to the right when running
down the
> road. The steering wheel is off by about a fifth of a turn though, but I'm
> going to live with it for now. I don't drive the truck enough to warrant
fixing
> it at this point.

Cool, it's nice when the quick do it yourself in your driveway solution
really comes through.

> I also noticed the right CV axle seems to be angled oddly. Looks like I
> shifted the right front wheel back about an inch or two. Not exactly sure
> what's bent yet, but there is definitely some minor damage under there.
All I
> can see at this point is the front lift bracket for the lower control arm
bent
> back and possibly out some, but it doesn't look like anything else is
damaged
> beside the optional Trailmaster skid plate. The rear lift bracket for the
lower
> control arm has no visible damage. The driver's side front bracket also
has
> some minor damage but not as severe as the passenger's side. All in all,
the
> truck held together fairly well.

Interesting. It seems your earlier description of "Traildisaster"
suspension was rather appropriate. I'm suprised that you've had this much
trouble with it. It should be able to take the kind of (ab)use that you
gave it at the BBQ, correct?

Did the guys at work like all the mud?

--
- Josh