RE: New HP/TQ numbers

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 14:39:57 EDT

Nice improvement Sam! Any issues with throttle response from idle with that
size TB? You using a turtle of any sort?

> I even raced my wife's 73 440 T&C Wagon down the track for the
> first (and only time)... Ran a dismal 2.7 60' time
> (thermoquad--err bog carb, car nearly fell over and stalled when
> I floored it from idle)--- <snip>
>
> Sam

In case you're interested, the thermoquad is actually a pretty sweet carb
when you know how to tune it. Had one on my '74 Challenger 360 and properly
adjusted it had awesome throttle response. Sounds like you need more
tension on the secondary air valve to keep it from opening too soon. Been
so long since I had one I can't remember if the accelerator pump stroke is
adjustable as well but if it is, longer would be better. A quicker advance
curve in the distributor would help as well.

RayB