Re: RE: Driver Info Requested...

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 09:11:36 EDT

Bill Pitz wrote:

> dodgedakotaquadcab@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Anyone driving on Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires??
>>
>> Looking for first-person experiences.My choices are
>> the Wrangler RT/S,the Firestone Destination LE,or my
>> Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's...
>

> That's a bad question to ask here, as I'm sure you've already seen by
> the responses so far.
>
> I wasn't very happy with the Wranglers at all. For starters, they wore
> out very fast. I'm guessing I would have gotten ~30k max out of them.
> They were absolutely horrible in even the slightest bit of mud. There's
> virtually no evacuation of the mud from the tread. IMHO, a truck with
> "mud+snow" rated tires should not need 4 wheel drive in a few inches of
> mud. By comparison, my BFG AT's were able to plow right through the
> same mud in the same spot with no hesitation whatsoever.

Here's what Wranglers look like in mud:
http://home.rochester.rr.com/alevy/dakota/gfx/andy_longest_yard_3.jpg

> The wear on my BFGs has been better than on my Goodyears.. Right now I
> have a bit over 30,000 miles on the BFGs and I'm guessing that I can
> easily go another 10-15k before they need to be replaced. They
> definitely make a bit more noise on the freeway than the Goodyears, but
> the overall handling is much better. Unless you have a need for an
> offroad tire, though, I would not choose the BFG AT. (I'm still going
> around in my head as to whether it's going to be worth it for me to
> purchase another set when these wear out given my offroad:street driving
> ratio.)

Agreed. My BFGs looked FAR better at 30K than my Wranglers did at 28K.
  Tom's well-worn BFGs did better in the slop at Jon's this year than
any new Wranglers ever did. I had no arguments about the BFGs on the
highway though - slightly louder, slightly heavier steering, but *it's a
truck*!

> If you're looking for good treadwear, I've heard nothing but good things
> about Cooper tires.

The Michelin LTX supposedly wears like iron.