Re: RE: Driver Info Requested...

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 00:12:27 EDT

dodgedakotaquadcab@yahoo.com wrote:
> Anyone driving on Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires??
>
> Looking for first-person experiences.My choices are
> the Wrangler RT/S,the Firestone Destination LE,or my
> Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's...

That's a bad question to ask here, as I'm sure you've already seen by
the responses so far.

I wasn't very happy with the Wranglers at all. For starters, they wore
out very fast. I'm guessing I would have gotten ~30k max out of them.
They were absolutely horrible in even the slightest bit of mud. There's
virtually no evacuation of the mud from the tread. IMHO, a truck with
"mud+snow" rated tires should not need 4 wheel drive in a few inches of
mud. By comparison, my BFG AT's were able to plow right through the
same mud in the same spot with no hesitation whatsoever.

The wear on my BFGs has been better than on my Goodyears.. Right now I
have a bit over 30,000 miles on the BFGs and I'm guessing that I can
easily go another 10-15k before they need to be replaced. They
definitely make a bit more noise on the freeway than the Goodyears, but
the overall handling is much better. Unless you have a need for an
offroad tire, though, I would not choose the BFG AT. (I'm still going
around in my head as to whether it's going to be worth it for me to
purchase another set when these wear out given my offroad:street driving
ratio.)

The Goodyears are fine as stock tires if you life in a relatively mild
climate and don't need any kind of offroad ability. However, their
retail price puts them dead last on my list of tires.

If you're looking for good treadwear, I've heard nothing but good things
about Cooper tires.

In short, I'd just say that if you're looking to buy tires, the Goodyear
Wrangler RT/S is not worth the money.

-Bill