OT:Need help with my Jeep

From: TJ Goettner (dakota52318@toad.net)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 18:32:08 EDT

Its an 88 Jeep Cherokee, 4wd Limited etc etc... Anyway, I don't really
drive the thing much, cause I bought it mainly to haul my 4wheelers around
and haven't had much time to do that lately. But I noticed that the brakes
seem very weak. You have to put all of your butt into pushing on the brakes
to get the fronts to lock at any speed. I suspected to rear brakes, so I
jacked it up, put it in drive and held the brake down. It doesn't take
hardly any gas at all to turn the wheels. If you have someone hold it, you
can almost turn them by hand with all but full pedal applied. They Have
been bled, extensively and know that is not the cause. Adjusting them does
no good.

What I'm wondering is if the proportioning valve is closing too soon because
it is bad and not letting enough pressure go to the back brakes before
applying the fronts, and not letting anymore to the backs as the pedal is
applied harder. Has anyone seen this happen??

TJ
1992 Dakota
318, 4X4, Long Bed
46RH, MP Comp