Re: Re: daily SAS update

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 02:18:55 EDT

On Aug 15, 2004, at 07:47, Russell Yee wrote:

> PB blaster smells nice when it's torched too!!

I wouldn't know - there was too much flaming grease and teflon! that
reminds me, I need to wipe the soot off the torch.....

> I think it is a wise idea to
> have the machine shop take care of the tap removal. If all else
> fails, you
> can try to drill a hole down the middle of the tap with a cobalt bit
> (drilling through HSS sucks but can be done, hopefully you used a cheap
> steel tap!).

I've got no idea what it is. I didn't notice that it was there until I
was putting that caliper on the knuckle, and saw that the hole was full
of crap. I was expecting dirt, so I grabbed a tap, and started poking
with a small screwdriver. Then I noticed the flutes.

I started trying to poke it with a drill but made little headway. That
was a hand drill while it was still on the axle though. I might have
better luck (and less chance of breaking a bit off) with a drill press.

> I would then freeze the entire unit, and then heat the caliper
> bracket. Between the contraction of the tap due to the cold and the
> expansion of the caliper bracket due to the heat, you'd stand a pretty
> good
> chance of getting the tap out.

not a bad idea. that might even make an easy-out work, depending on
how stuck the tap is.

> I think the D44 spindle/knuckle design
> should be somewhat the same as the D60 I have under my Dakota.

the knuckles are very different, but I think the spindle mounting
method is very similar.

> Can you snap
> me a digi pic of the parts in question? If I remember correctly, mine
> were
> stubborn as well, but once you know where to hit it comes right off.

<http://mike.tepidcola.com/data/tmp/spindle/>
The thin mangled piece you see is the remains of the caliper shield.
(I'm going to run without one so I took it off with a cold chisel
hoping something would catch and move. it didn't.)

I'd expect that if I smacked it way out at the end a couple times it
would come apart quite quickly. However I'm interested in keeping
those threads usable.

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'84 RamCharger Daily Driver       '98 Dakota under the knife