Re: Re: daily SAS update

From: Russell Yee (rkyee02@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 22:54:04 EDT

Hey Mike

The spindle/caliper bracket/knuckle interface looks exactly the same as it
does on the D60s I've rebuilt. What I did was cock the knuckle to one side
to get access to the back of the knuckle. you should see the back of
spindle connected to the knuckle. To vaguely describe it, the back of the
spindle should look like a cylinder pressed into the knuckle, which the stub
shaft runs through. (if you can take a digi pic of the back I could point
it out to you) What I did was got a piece of #5 rebar (a steel drift would
do also), and had at it with a BFH. Having a drunk buddy or somebody that
you greatly dislike to hold the rebar while you wail away on it helps a lot.
I had made a stand to rebuild my axles on, but that proved to be not enough
to hold the axle in place while I was swinging, so I put the axle on the
ground and kind of stood on it while I went to town. It would also be
easier if you removed the entire knuckle assembly and took the stub and
inner shaft out, and then reassembled it. Yes it will take a little time,
but it is worth it.

            Russ