Re: Re: daily SAS update

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Aug 17 2004 - 05:19:33 EDT

On Aug 16, 2004, at 22:54, Russell Yee wrote:

> What I did was cock the knuckle to one side
> to get access to the back of the knuckle. you should see the back of
> spindle connected to the knuckle. To vaguely describe it, the back of
> the
> spindle should look like a cylinder pressed into the knuckle, which
> the stub
> shaft runs through. (if you can take a digi pic of the back I could
> point
> it out to you) What I did was got a piece of #5 rebar (a steel drift
> would
> do also), and had at it with a BFH.

I tried doing something similar this morning, using a 2" socket on the
back of the knuckle assy, but made no headway. The issue I have with
the BFH route right now is there's no good way to hold the knuckle,
much less in some manor that allows the spindle to move downward. I
think I'd have to build a jig to do it off the axle.

though I did have one thought - with the back side of the spindle
sitting on the monster socket or some other suitable spacer that's tall
and tough enough, if you had a huge piece of pipe that would fit around
the mounting flange of the spindle, then you could go to town pretty
effectively.

> Having a drunk buddy or somebody that
> you greatly dislike to hold the rebar while you wail away on it helps
> a lot.

hahaha. more than one use for beer in the shop - it's not just a bribe
to help out anymore!

> It would also be
> easier if you removed the entire knuckle assembly and took the stub and
> inner shaft out, and then reassembled it. Yes it will take a little
> time,
> but it is worth it.

agreed - except the removal part left me with four ball joints torched
in half since there's no clearance to remove the knuckle with the axle
in place. I don't think I really want to subject my new ball joints to
that sort of abuse! not to mention, I won't have lowers until thursday
(apparently a rare animal for some reason)

With any luck, I'll be able to give someone with a huge press a few
dollars and have everything I need apart taken care of. and then
probably give them quite a few more and have that tap out. oh well,
it's only money, right? I *hate* not being able to effectively do
things myself =)

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'84 RamCharger Daily Driver       '98 Dakota under the knife