Re: trans or differential whine ?

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 06:09:46 EDT

On Aug 18, 2004, at 01:27, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> IIRC, you used type F?

nope - has a bit of ATF+3 and mostly Dexron/Mercon. and actually I
didn't do that here - I flushed it while I was house sitting. I
switched to the cheaper stuff partway through because I after 2 gallons
a quart at a time, I *needed* bigger containers, and the next three
gallons one gallon as a time was far nicer to deal with. Unfortunately
I never considered the possibility of incompatible fluids. I don't
think that could be the case, though, since on the dipstick it asks for
Dexron II and that was later superseded by ATF+3. The consensus I
found was that the ATF+3 shifts a little softer than Dexron/Mercon, and
that ATF+4 will eat seals in a trans that old so don't use it. I
figured since both are "recommended" it wouldn't hurt to mix.
hmmmmmm....

> Are you sure it didn't have ATF+3 before?

no clue. as far as I'm concerned it had 30w gear oil before.

> (Sure hope its not incompatible fluids fighting it out in there.) :-)

me too!

> Maybe it had a sentimental attachment to that dirty, old fluid and
> is mad at you for force feeding it the nice clean stuff. ;-)

I was thinking the same thing. But I'm more thinking it's the transfer
case, since the shifter feels different when it's making noise - and
sometimes it will even rattle the handle. A guy in mudnuts had a
similar symptom from the Borg-Warner tcase in his Ford, and it turned
out to be a broken high/low shift fork that was allowing the two speeds
of gears to partly mesh and grind. That would be annoying to
diagnose.....

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'84 RamCharger Daily Driver       '98 Dakota under the knife