Re: Re: Driving Manners Are Nonexistent

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 02:07:43 EDT

"RayB" <bpracing@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
:> traffic enforcement is a cash cow instead of the safety campaign it
:> should be, and I'm bloddy well *sick* of it.
:>
:> --
:> Mike Maskalans

: I couldn't agree more Mike. Check out the National Motorists Association at
: http://www.motorists.org/

: They were instrumental in getting the speed limits raised around the country
: and I've supported them for years as they have supported the rights of
: American motorists. They don't condone aggressive or reckless driving but
: they don't believe exceeding ridiculously low speed limits warrants a ticket
: either. They have tools to help members fight speeding tickets. I can
: imagine there might be a few of our DML members who could benefit from that.
: :-)

   I can second that; I joined the NMA back when I was still in
college, so I guess thats about 10 years now. I actually did get
their legal defense kit once many years ago, but ended up not
having to use it. They have a small but decent monthly
magazine/newsletter which brings up a lot of driving/enforcement
type issues. There are some other benefits too; one of the most
recent is a relatively inexpensive AAA type towing/roadside assistance
program. (Apparently AAA is in bed with the insurance lobby, so
this will give concerned motorists an alternative.) I started
looking into it to see how it compares to my AAA/RV membership
but sort've ran out of time. I suspect I'll be staying with AAA
for now since it seems to fit my particular needs better but
its definitely cheaper than AAA and will no doubt be a nice benefit
for some people. (IIRC, it does have some advantages like your
whole family is automatically covered, not just one person.)

   Anyway... I'm off on some sort of tangent now - just wanted
to chime in with a "me too" and recommend that anyone concerned
with these sorts of driving/motorist issues should give the NMA
a look-see.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'