Re: Brake problems

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 00:23:35 EDT

dean_ocque@yahoo.com wrote:
> My driver's side brake locked up. I replaced the caliper, but am not sure
> what the problem is now. It will not pull back completely. I have bled the
> line, but was told I still need to keep bleeding them because there is still
> air in them. What is the proper way to bleed the lines? The old days, you just
> kept pumping the brakes a few times (with the engine off), and when you get a
> steady stream, keep the brake depressed, and tighten the bleeder.
>
> Any ideas?

Did you replace the rubber brake hose? Many times if you have a caliper
that is locking up or have problems bleeding a line, it can be a faulty
brake hose. Try this. Try compressing the piston on the caliper with
the bleeder screw closed. If you can't compress it or it doesnt want to
compress easily... open the bleeder screw so the brake fluid can flow
out. Then try compressing the piston. If the piston compresses and
fluid comes out the bleeder, then you have a problem in the brake line
or hose, that is restricting the flow of the brake fluid. Odds are its
a hose - they fail more frequently than other possible causes. (valve
blocks, brake line (metal) etc.