Re: Shackles and hangers

From: WiLieR[SS] (waffle787@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 19:29:23 EDT

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:07:51 -0400, Pindell, Timothy
<tpindell@otterbein.edu> wrote:

> Fellas:
> I ordered a set of -4" shackles and hangers by Belltech for my '94.
> Apparently, each piece is individually handcrafted by the Belltech Elves in
> the Black Forest, so they've been on backorder from the manufacturer for a
> few weeks. No problem...I have plenty of other things to work on. However,
> I'd like to get to work disassembling things in preparation for the joyous
> arrival of the new parts. For dis-assembly, do I simply grind off the
> rivets holding the hanger to the frame, or is it something more complicated
> then that?
>
> Tim

Simply grind the head off the rivets and then use something like an
air hammer, or a regular hammer and a good punch, to drive the rivet
back through the frame. After you finish the first rivet, just rinse
and repeat for all others to drop the hangers off the frame. Maybe a
little bit of wire wheel work and shoot the frame with some black (or
prefered color) paint to help delay the rusting process (it happens,
really no way around it behind a hanger) and bolt the new bad boys on!

WiLieR[SS]
www.shamikaserver.com