Re: 1998 alternator in a GenII???

From: WiLieR[SS] (waffle787@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 22:15:50 EDT

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:39:04 +0000 (UTC), kvmac45@comcast.net
<kvmac45@comcast.net> wrote:

> Will the HO (136 amp) alternator from the 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
> Dakota/Durango work on a 1992 GenII 318? From looking at the brackets, they
> seem to be identical mounts, and the electrical hookups are still the same as
> what I currently have. I assume the only difference is the pulley. If it does
> drop straight in do I need to beef up any of my wiring to handle the increased
> amps? I currently have the 120, but it is getting a little tired.

It should drop in. I just put a 2000 Dakota alt on my Gen-II last
night. It is listed for a 3.9 v-6 and as a 136amp unit. The pulley
is a bit smaller than the original pulley on my 120, but this is a
good thing as it helps it charge better overall since the alt shaft
will spin faster. I replaced the wire from the alt to the power
center way back. I think I did it when I switched from the 90 amp to
the 120 I had installed. Either way, I swapped mine out for a 4 gauge
wire and never looked back. So far my voltage has been great with the
new 136. I give it a "part swap difficulty rating" of 1 with 0 being
a light bulb change. So double check those part numbers and if they
are the same (between the jeep alt and the 2000 dakota alt) then you
have a no problem way to get a few more amps to your battery each day.

WiLieR[SS]
www.shamikaserver.com