Valid concerns,or just noises? (2001 RC 4X4)

From: steve preston (steves287dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Aug 28 2004 - 22:17:59 EDT

Well,hi! My Dak is three years old,and has 38k on it.
Haven`t really had any problems with it,and I am
pretty tender with the front end as much as I can
be,knowing the problems they have had. But I`m hearing
a couple things that bother me a little bit.

The first noise may be tire noise,but it`s not a
whine. It`s more like a low pitched hum or drone that
sounds like it modulates with every revolution of the
left front wheel,like whoom whoom whoom whoom. It does
this more loudly as I bear to the right in a
curve,throwing more weight to the left. No apparent
tire problems. My brother had a noise like this in his
vehicle,and his ended up being the wheel bearings. I
don`t know how mine could be bad already. The only
thing I`ve done that could have contributed to this
would be the fact that I`ve driven through standing
water a few times briefly,like a foot and a half deep.
Maybe that could have caused it?

The second noise is what really concerns me. It is a
loud grunt from the front suspension when making a
turn over bumpy pavement. It can be felt,too. Feels
like something shifting underneath. Now,I know about
the clearance issue when you have the wheel cut clear
over to one side. That`s not it. This happens when the
wheel is turned only about a 1/4 turn,probably not
even halfway through it`s travel. I`m thinking ball
joints on this one. What about it? Thanks.
Steve P.