Re: Valid concerns,or just noises? (2001 RC 4X4)

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 00:47:51 EDT

On Aug 28, 2004, at 22:17, steve preston wrote:

> I`m hearing
> a couple things that bother me a little bit.
>
> The first noise may be tire noise,but it`s not a
> whine. It`s more like a low pitched hum or drone that
> sounds like it modulates with every revolution of the
> left front wheel,like whoom whoom whoom whoom.

I'd put 20:1 odds for the front wheel bearing. That's *eaxtly* what
mine sounded like on it's way out. Pick up that corner of the truck,
and try to wobble the wheel. if it will wobble in all directions, it's
the unit bearing assembly. Looking at $155/side at Advance..... If
one is bad enough to be making noise, the other is likely rather tired.
  No idea what would have caused it to die so quickly.

> The second noise is what really concerns me. It is a
> loud grunt from the front suspension when making a
> turn over bumpy pavement. It can be felt,too. Feels
> like something shifting underneath. I`m thinking ball
> joints on this one.

I'd agree - but a bad wheel bearing could also be causing this. Jack
under the A arm (so the knuckle is still supporting weight) and try to
wobble the knuckle assy back and forth with the tire, top to bottom.

Of course given your above symptom, check side to side wobble too, and
if it wobbles in both axes, I'l be expecting the bad bearing. If
that's the case, pull the tire, the caliper and the rotor, and see if
you can wobble the hub around at all.

Good luck!

--
Michael Maskalans         <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak/>
'98 Dakota CC 4x4 318               '84 RamCharger 4x4 360