Re: Coolant temperature sensor

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 17:30:10 EDT

"Biff Byrum" <bbyrum9@foothill.net> wrote:

: I've been watching these forums and some repair forums for well over a year,
: and I'd say that between 50-60% of the questions asked involve a sensor
: problem. They are very sensative devices, and they do some very wierd things
: at times. Like the 0-1v O2 sensor on my truck after 15,000 miles starting to
: return over 4 volts. That truck was virtually undrivable when that happened.

  Yep - like they say... garbage in, garbage out. The sensors on
a vehicle are the eyes, ears, etc. of a vehicle. The sensors are the
only thing that can tell the vehicle what is going on. Having a sensor
go out would be like trying to accomplish a task and suddenly losing
your vision, or having the images that are coming in be garbled and
jumping around. You might be able to finish what you are doing,
but you won't be able to do it as well as before. Likewise, a vehicle's
computer can also make guesstimates to allow the engine to keep running,
but it may not run well, or not as efficiently. Seen from that
perspective (of a person losing one of their senses), it becomes
fairly apparent why such a simple little device can cause such big
problems when it goes bad. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'