Re: Valid concerns,or just noises? (2001 RC 4X4)

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 09:26:56 EDT

"Michael Maskalans" <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote in message

> On Aug 29, 2004, at 18:13, steve preston wrote:
>
> > I had the front wheels off a few hours
> > ago,putting the original brake pads back on. While I was doing that,I
> > tried moving stuff the best I could,checking for
> > play,but I had the suspension unloaded,so nothing was
> > probably going to feel loose anyway.
>
> That sounds like good news for your wheel bearing - the hub assembly
> shouldn't care about suspension loading, so if it wasn't moving around
> with the brakes dismantled you might just be looking at some very bad
> ball joints.
> --
> Mike Maskalans

Not necessarily. Just because the bearing doesn't move doesn't mean it's
not bad. GM front drive hub bearings don't allow movement (even when bad),
and when they go,they still make that noise you describe. I thought that
since there was no movement I was good to go, untill I made a *really* sharp
right turn all of the sudden.... Live and learn I guess....

May I suggest dismantling the front knuckle and supporting the whole truck,
then using an automotive stethascope (or long screwdriver) listen to the hub
bearing assy while it's turning at about 15 - 20 mph. If it's good you
should just hear the insides moving, if it's bad, you'll hear a
crunching/grinding noise that will alleviate all doubt as to its condition.
Good luck.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L