SAS melodrama

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 23:01:44 EDT

So I tacked my tie rod together.... It's like 90% good :D
That 10% is a BITCH.

- Got the length spot on, etc, looks good, but first the 1.5" DOM
*barely* clears the diff cover at left lock. Notable, but not a real
big deal.
- The actual joints clear the rims fine, too. But their dust boots
don't. With the rim mounted up, the right tire doesn't even really
want to turn.
- I put the inverted T drag link on the front of the tie rod and it
clears the rim fin. But it hits the tire baaad. That's not going to
work too well (though after considering my options it might be as good
as it gets :().

So what about getting another es2233L and re-tapering it to put the
drag link on the back of the tie rod? There's plenty of room for the
joint versus the axle tube. Except I don't have room for the drag link
versus my coil spring. Maybe if I got a tie rod with a dog-leg to
bring things forward from the back side? Something akin to the Moog
ES375 the BV mentions in his final XJ steering tech piece, except with
7/8-18 threads.
[img]http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Steering/Steering_4/
ES375.jpg[/img]

I was just looking at what I've got, and I think that should be able to
be made to clear without too much, if any, grinding of what I've
already got. A very small kink in the tube (something I don't want to
do, but could surely get away with) would take care of anything else.
Peg (RS Auto Parts AKA 5 West Auto Parts, Irving NY - wonderfully
helpful and puts up with my project!) is gonna love me for this.

At least I was going over there anyway.....

Of course the obvious answer is to go hysteer. I can't make the arms
myself, and I need this done yesterday. Not having a proper pitman arm
is a big enough problem already! Uugh. I don't like being rushed.
This sucks.

I think I'm going to run with what I've got and fix my left turning
radius later.

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'84 RamCharger Daily Driver       '98 Dakota under the knife