Almost without a hitch... issue/question at the end.

From: Bill Day (billday@consolidated.net)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 19:43:11 EDT

Dont think my other post ever made it, but the hub finally died. Made it
until Tuesday night after work, where I waited for 2 hours for my buddy to
breing the roll-back out.

I picked up my parts this(Thursday) morning, 2 hub asseblies and 2 CVs(turns
out they were remans, my only issue with them). Started about 9:30 breaking
everything loose, wheels, hub nuts, driveshaft to differential bolts and
then jacked her up and put under the jack stands. Started with passenger
side and it wasn't that bad, hub wise, though there is a lot of rattling in
the pass. CV. Started putting it back together on passenger side and fought
it for about 20 minutes before I decided to jack the steering knuckle setup
with a bottle jack, bingo, wnet together like pie.

Opened my second box and immediatle noticed that the CV to differential end
was different from other, same amount of bolt holes, same diameters apart,
just cutouts on 3 sides where as the other one(and factories) were just
round... Oh well, fits like a glove.

proceeded to do the other side and didn't even have to jack the knuckle on
the driverside went right together. All of about 4 hours spent on doing it
all

Now here is my issue and my question. The splined shaft has about 1/4 to
3/8 more threads and length, the supplied castle nut does not reach out far
enough to use the springwasher, cover and cotter pin properly. The supplied
nut is taller than mine(including the castle) but there is no "face" for
grasping around nut like typical castles.

My question is this, if I resuse my original nuts with an extra washer
behind them, will this affect anything? I realize that without the cover
nut, sprinwasher and the cotter there is the possiblity of the hub nut
backing off from its 190ft-lb torqued position..

Comments, ideas, etc are of course always welcome...

Bill Day
billday@consolidated.net
http://users.consolidated.net/billday/

A rich man isn't always wealthy, he just has all the love he wants and can
give..

AIM - BadManD73 (Catch me if you can!)
'95 Ext Cab 3.9L Mag 4x4 Flame Red 3.55 LSD turning 30x9.50x15's

---