Re: Almost without a hitch... issue/question at the end.

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 21:39:22 EDT

On Sep 2, 2004, at 19:43, Bill Day wrote:

> Now here is my issue and my question. The splined shaft has about 1/4
> 3/8 more threads and length, the supplied castle nut does not reach
> out far
> enough to use the springwasher, cover and cotter pin properly. The
> supplied
> nut is taller than mine(including the castle) but there is no "face"
> for
> grasping around nut like typical castles.

I don't quite understand what you're saying here about the new castle
nuts. If they're taller, how is it that they don't work with the cover
and cotter pin? Are they not taller-enough, or are they not hex up
through the castling, or what?

> My question is this, if I resuse my original nuts with an extra washer
> behind them, will this affect anything? I realize that without the
> cover
> nut, sprinwasher and the cotter there is the possiblity of the hub nut
> backing off from its 190ft-lb torqued position..

I don't think using a washer there gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, and I
don't know why. In theory it really shouldn't affect anything. Of
course the mo' proper way to take care of this would be to make note of
where the hole actually needs to be, pull everything back apart and
drill a new hole in the shaft so you can properly lock the nut with the
cap and key.....

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'84 RamCharger Daily Driver       '98 Dakota under the knife