Re: Almost without a hitch... issue/question at the end.

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 00:56:36 EDT

On Sep 2, 2004, at 23:33, Terrible Tom wrote:

> I'm missing something here too. The length of the shaft threads
> shouldn't make any difference, as long as its not SHORTER... than the
> original.

I'm thinking that the hole in the shaft is ending up too far out on the
spindle threads to actually catch the keeper

> The spined end comes through the bearing/hub. Then you put in the
> curvy spring washer. Then the spindle nut, then the "castle nut
> cover".

only if you're assembling them inside out. that thin spring washer
goes between the spindle nut and the castled cover to keep the cover
from rattling.

> The cotter pin threads through the hole in the end of the shaft and
> gets wrapped around the castle nut. This keeps the nut from coming
> off in the event it starts to losen up. I think, at least from the
> way you described it?, that you are possibly putting them on in the
> wrong order?

nope, Tom, that's you =)

bad ASCII art time! (hope text wrapping doesn't fsck this)

-----] +--+ \ +-+
      |==|--|====\====| +|======|
      |\\| |\\\\|\\\\| |\\O\\\| <- spindle
      |==|--|====/====| +|======|
  hub nut spring castled
              washer retainer
                      nut

the cotter key goes in the hole indicated by the O.
Of course this isn't to actual scale since the shaft can't be that long
- though a shaft too long seems to be what Bill is dealing with.

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'84 RamCharger Daily Driver       '98 Dakota under the knife