Re: Almost without a hitch... issue/question at the end.

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 23:33:39 EDT

Michael Maskalans wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2004, at 19:43, Bill Day wrote:
>
>> Now here is my issue and my question. The splined shaft has about 1/4 to
>> 3/8 more threads and length, the supplied castle nut does not reach
>> out far
>> enough to use the springwasher, cover and cotter pin properly. The
>> supplied
>> nut is taller than mine(including the castle) but there is no "face" for
>> grasping around nut like typical castles.

The castle nut (at least on my front drive axles) is not so much a nut
as it is just a cover that goes over the actual spindle nut. This cover
is not meant to be wrenched on.

> I don't quite understand what you're saying here about the new castle
> nuts. If they're taller, how is it that they don't work with the cover
> and cotter pin? Are they not taller-enough, or are they not hex up
> through the castling, or what?

I'm missing something here too. The length of the shaft threads
shouldn't make any difference, as long as its not SHORTER... than the
original. The spined end comes through the bearing/hub. Then you put
in the curvy spring washer. Then the spindle nut, then the "castle nut
cover". The cotter pin threads through the hole in the end of the shaft
and gets wrapped around the castle nut. This keeps the nut from coming
off in the event it starts to losen up. I think, at least from the way
you described it?, that you are possibly putting them on in the wrong order?

>> My question is this, if I resuse my original nuts with an extra washer
>> behind them, will this affect anything? I realize that without the cover
>> nut, sprinwasher and the cotter there is the possiblity of the hub nut
>> backing off from its 190ft-lb torqued position..
>

> I don't think using a washer there gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, and I
> don't know why. In theory it really shouldn't affect anything. Of
> course the mo' proper way to take care of this would be to make note of
> where the hole actually needs to be, pull everything back apart and
> drill a new hole in the shaft so you can properly lock the nut with the
> cap and key.....

If what Bill is trying to say is that things don't fit together tightly
or properly, using the supplied hardware because the shaft is too long,
then using a washer as a spacer, along with a spring washer, spindle
nut, castle nut/cover, and a cotter pin, shouldn't hurt anything - the
way I see it.

On another note - if that spined shaft is too long - I would hazard a
guess and say it wasn't rebuilt properly. The replacement CV halfshafts
should be near exact replacements, dimension-wise. Cosmetically they
can be different, but not in function. I would consider taking the
thing back and trying a different one if the thing is too long.