Re: Need pics/INFO of Lowered Daks

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 00:22:29 EDT

TJ Goettner wrote:

> I need pics and info on your guy's lowered dakotas. I want to know what was
> done, brands used, and most importantly wheel and tire info. I will be
> starting my winter project (swapping frames) very soon and will be getting
> the parts together within the next month or so. I am just doing research on
> what wheels and tires will fit and look good with a 2/3 and a 4/4 drop. I
> would like to go 4/4 but have not found any one with that setup yet, only
> problem is that Im not sure if the caltrac setup will have enough room under
> a 4/4 drop. I am looking for the best cornerng ability, understanding of
> course this thing will never be a camaro or mustang.... so from what I
> understand I want to go with springs, not spindles, and hangers, not
> blocks?? What about shocks????? Where should I go for them?
>

> TJ

Hotchkis 2/3 here. I got all the springs used from listers. I picked
up a front sway off of ebay and had quickor suspension bend me a rear
one. The rear is too stiff for daily use so I only put it on when I go
to the autoX track. I've also got a Kenny Brown X-Brace on order and am
awaiting its arrival. I've heard nothing but great things about the
piece. I'm running the Hotchkis Bilsteins up front (finally swapped out
the monroes) and a set of Monroe Reflexes in the rear. I used to run
all Reflexes but when I got my bonus at work, I warranteed out the
Monroes and popped for the Hotchkis shocks. They're about the same,
just a little stiffer.

I'm running the stock 15" wheels with Yokohama Avid S/T's in size
245/70-15. I have no clearance issues and they handle great for
$60/each. Next summer I'll have R/T wheels with BFG G-Forces on them
though.

If I was in your position, I'd be looking to fully box my frame and have
a custom built triangulated 4-link put in the rear as well as using
monotube front control arms with coilovers all around. Check out the
new A-arms that Scott Q is selling through GSM, I've heard good things
about them from the R/T crowd. They're a little pricey at $1500 though
- not that a custom 4-link would be cheaper... However, as I'm spending
your money here and not mine, that's what I'd do. Depending on how long
you want to wait, you might want to shoot Chad Evans an email about
suspension setups. He's working with a guy named Randy to set up a
totally one off custom suspension for the Dakotas. I know I've already
signed up to be a test truck so that I can get the reduced introductory
price. ;-)

You can see pics of my truck in the photo gallery on my site. (look to
my sigline for the URL)

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L