Re: I Took A Gen IV For A Spin Today

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 09:16:39 EDT

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:35:05 -0500, Terrible Tom
<silvereightynine@aol.com> wrote:

> I'll never buy one.
>
> How's that for a start to a road test review?

> Next, I do not like where they placed the 4x4 control knob. It is low
> under the dash behind the cup holders. Also the aux power outlet and
> passenger side air bag switch are also recessed behind there. Not easy
> access at all.

Worse position than in my '03? Ouch.

> Performance - - the truck seemed slower than I expected with a 4.7L
> behind it. I was treated to the now familiar high revving sound of the
> 4.7L - which from past BBQ's has now been burned into my long term
> memory. ---- "It feels like we're at a boat race!"
>
> Wasn't able to get the tires to chirp from a stand still -
> disappointing. Cornering and handling is MUCH improved. Truck can
> corner very very well. Brakes grab nice and stopping distance is good
> for a truck of its girth. Very quiet at highway speeds up to 85 mph
> <evil grin>.

Well, keep in mind it was an auto, and most likely 3.55 gears.
Neither Ed nor I have any complaints about the 4.7 in our trucks :)
The new Dak is bigger and presumably heavier.

> Sound system sounded damned good - better than the set up in my Ram.
> Kudos to the rear suicide doors on the club cab - that was a good move.

If they had the suicide doors on older models, my '99 may have lasted
till I had it paid off.