Re: Re: My rear diff is shot!? OMGWTFBBQ

From: andylevy@yahoo.com
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 13:06:31 EDT

In article <cl5vti$s4o$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, josh@omg-stfu.com ("Josh
Battles") writes:

> <andylevy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Took the truck in this morning for the wiper motor recall and front & rear
> diff
> > fluid changes. Dealer just called back, says he has to keep the truck
> > overnight because the WHOLE REAR DIFF needs to be replaced along with the
> diff
> > bearings.
>
> No more elaborate than that? He didn't tell you what they found? When I
> was getting a clunking noise and vibration from the rear of the truck while
> still under warranty, they replaced the whole axle and driveshaft. That was
> at about 3k miles though. They told me that my driveshaft was out of
> balance and it had worn something in the diff and it was faster to just
> replace the whole axle than rebuilding it.

I pushed for more info, but the service writer who called me didn't have full
notes from the tech. He's calling me back Real Soon Now. Apparently it's not
the diff itself that's broken, it's a problem with the diff CASE and one
bearing. So, they're moving all my moving parts (plus one new bearing) to a
new diff case. I'm going to pitch to him the idea of "I'm not paying for that
rear diff fluid change, since you had to do it anyway, right?"

And I'm getting a loaner. Whew!

> > 26K, this is my second diff fluid change (first was Jifee Loob), truck has
> > shown no signs of trouble - it's been IDLE for almost a month, I only
> started
> > driving it again when the e-brake cable on the Acclaim snapped.
>
> Do you think that JL maybe used the wrong type of fluid? If they didn't add
> the modifier, it'll burn up the clutches and stuff....

I thought about that too, but since I heard no odd noises, dismissed it. Plus,
now knowing that it's the diff case, that's right out the window.